General Services of Southern New York, Inc.
Endicott, NY 13761
- Fire & Smoke Damage
- Cover any holes in the roof, lock all doors and windows, and
block any other openings.
- Try to salvage property by thoroughly cleaning smoke or
- Clean and protect chrome trim on kitchen appliances with a
light coating of vaseline or other oil.
- Blow off or brush-vacuum loose smoke particles from
upholstery, drapes and carpets.
- Open windows for ventilation.
- Change the filter before turning on the furnace, blower
or air conditioning.
- Until the furnace and air ducts can be cleaned, place double
layers of cheesecloth over all air registers to reduce the
spread of soot.
- Empty freezer and refrigerator completely if electricity is
off, and prop doors open with a rolled towel or newspaper for
- Clean and protect smoked bathroom faucets, tub fittings and
towel bars with light coating of oil or petroleum jelly.
- Pour antifreeze in toilet bowels, sinks and tubs to prevent
freezing if heat is off in winter.
- Wash plants with water on both sides of leaves (water
- Call plumber to drain heating system if heat is off in
- Remove pets (especially birds) to clean environments.
- Treat smoke damaged garments with care. Improper
cleaning may fail to remove smoke odor, or worse, permanently
set it into the fabric.
- Turn the water hearter back on, have a plumber do so.
Attempting to turn it on without refilling could cause permanent
- Wipe or attempt to wash walls, ceilings or other absorbent
surfaces. Hire a professional who will use the proper
chemicals for best results.
- Use exposed food items or canned goods which have been
subjected to excessive heat.
- Use TVs, stereos or electrical appliances until cleaned and
- Send smoked garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper
cleaning may set smoke and odor.
- Restore gas and electric utilities, have a professional